Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Bookend and Diane Di Prima




Bookend let me borrow a great book recently entitled “Memoirs of a Beatnik” Every book I read always has a perfect moment that sums up the book for me. This book had several, but one is my absolute favorite because I relate to it so well and you might as well.

Page 147
Diane was explaining visiting someone’s house in a normal society is like being on a brief vacation. She writes:

“Betty’s house was a good vacation, a reminder of how the rest of the world lived and thought, afterwards we would trot gratefully home to our freezing apartment, our silly unintellectual conversation, and out lentil soup.”

I adore these lines!!
Especially “our silly unintellectual conversation” part!! Precisely written!! I can relate to them so well, It’s as these words came from my own pen. Going anywhere, Work, Mom, Dads, Brothers it’s so pristine (definitely in my case) so calculated. Situation and conversations. Everything is sterile!!! Sometimes I can’t wait for the clock to show me the door. I return back to my real life. I guess my “UNAMERICAN DREAM” I am not looking for the better car, the better job, the better appliance, the better finance charge. I just want to be happy. Simplistic as it sounds millions of people in this creepy world are unhappy. Believe me I am not saying the typical American dream is wrong at all. Every persons dream is individual and should be followed accordingly.

Good luck with yours!
Go for what you know and want!!

Thanx Bookend for letting me borrow tis book!! I love it!!! I will never forget that line!!!

Posted by Hello